Underwriting Manager: Personal Lines
An exciting opportunity is available at Brolink for a Personal Lines Underwriting Manager. The successful incumbent will be responsible for the operational management and strategic guidance of Short-term Insurance Portfolios, Underwriting, and Personal Lines Products.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The successful applicant will join the Underwriting Management Team and will be responsible for the overall management of the team including the following key responsibility areas:
Increase overall profitability of the company.
• Manage operational cost in the department(s).
• Maintaining profitable loss ratios.
• New business and budget growth.
• Achieve strategic results.
• Stakeholder relationship management.
• Liaise with internal and external stakeholders with aim of building and maintaining relationships.
• Brand ambassadorship – ensuring that the Brolink brand is positioned positively in the market.
Management of Operational and Internal processes
• Complaints management and Treating Customers Fairly.
• Mandate management.
• Manage effective underwriting activities and ensure appropriate processes on various schemes.
• Co-ordinate with Reactive Department to ensure improved/efficient portfolio performance.
• Oversee allocation of resources.
• Manage and oversee book take-overs \ transfers in accordance with company and compliance requirements.
• Ensure adherence to audit requirements and remedial measures on findings.
• Various meetings.
• Oversee full operational functionality of the following divisions within the environment.
• Digital Channel
• Contact Centre
• Traditional Brokers
UNDERWRITING • Oversee special projects.
• Manage staff component to deal with Special Projects.
• Oversee the effective execution of deliverables.
• Champion change management as may be required.
IT \ SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
• Be part of and oversee System-related error \ incident tracking.
• Be part of and oversee System fixes.
• Monitor and track system logs.
• Monitor and track system projects.
• Oversee employee engagement and performance
• Manage staff.
• Ensure motivated and retained staff.
• Actively train and develop staff (guidance, mentoring, and formal training).
• Effective management of employee relations.
• General people management administration – e.g. leave and disciplinary processes.
• Create positive energy amongst the team.
• Champion changes introduced to the company in general and team in particular.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
• English (read, write, speak).
• FAIS Fit and Proper for Personal lines product categories (RE 5 and credits/full qualification). Must not work under FAIS supervision.
• NQF5 or Higher Qualification (preferred).
• Relevant Tertiary Qualification (optional).
• 7 years working experience in short-term insurance at a broker, insurer, or administrator.
In addition to the above:
• At least 3 years in Underwriting dealing with personal lines products; and
• At least 3 years in an Underwriting Management/Supervisory position overseeing an operational team.
• Knowledge of the South African Financial Sector with a specific focus on Short-term Insurance.
• Knowledge and understanding of legal requirements of the insurance industry.
• Knowledge, understanding, and interpretation of short-term insurance products.
• Understanding of portfolio management principles.
• Interpretation of relevant management information.
• Competent to use insurance policy administration systems and applications.
• Microsoft Office products skills (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
• Excellent understanding of generic underwriting rules and products.
• Must be able to make sound underwriting decisions.
• Must be able to handle escalated matters as assigned to the position.
Attributes required for the position include but are not limited to:
• Excellent people management skills.
• Building and maintaining relationships (internal & external).
• Strong problem-solving and decision-making ability.
• Action orientation.
• Able to work with a high performing team.
• Quality orientation.
• Excellent communication skills (verbal & written).
• Computer literacy.
• Presentation skills.
• Conflict management.
• Stress tolerance.
ABOUT THE COMPANY
Brolink is a leading provider of insurance administration services, providing a comprehensive range of insurance products from South Africa’s top insurers. Our portfolio includes personal insurance, commercial insurance as well as niche products such as agriculture, transport, engineering, and aviation.
As a short-term insurance administrator, Brolink provides a dedicated service to professional brokers in delivering on their clients’ business or professional insurance needs.
Our values are Excellence, Integrity, Fairness.
Our vision is to be the leading digital technology and integration platform for short-term insurance.
Applicants must have a clear ITC, a clear criminal record, and excellent previous employment references.
Qualified applicants are invited to apply by sending a CV to: firstname.lastname@example.org before COB 19 November 2021.
Should you be aware of a qualified individual, please pass this vacancy on to them.
This appointment will be made in line with the company’s Employment Equity goals and targets.